No matter how advanced the safety features of today’s automobiles may be, truck accidents can still cause devastating and catastrophic injuries, from broken bones to spinal cord injuries and even death. If you or a loved one has suffered a serious injury in a truck accident, truck accident lawyer Amanda J. Spencer at Spencer Law Firm in San Antonio, TX, will strive to hold the responsible party accountable. She will fight on your behalf for compensation to cover medical costs, lost wages, and pain and suffering and, in the process, help you achieve the peace of mind you deserve. To learn more, call (210) 543-0000 or message us online.
Types of Truck Accidents
There are many types of truck accidents that can result in serious injury or death for drivers, pedestrians, and motorcycle riders, including:
- Rollover – Steep inclines and declines, top heavy loads that affect the truck’s center of gravity, and excessive speed can all contribute to a truck tipping over onto its side or roof.
- Collision – Often a result of speeding or impaired driving, undivided two-lane highways are a frequent site for collisions involving semis and cars.
- Runaway truck – When a brake failure makes it impossible to stop on an incline or decline, horrific accidents can ensue involving multiple vehicles.
- Lost cargo – Failure to properly secure cargo can result in objects falling out of or off of a truck and spilling into traffic.
- Blown tire – When a big rig blows out a tire, the driver can lose control and wind up in a serious single or multiple vehicle accident.
- Rear-end collision – Due to the simple fact that trucks need more time to stop than the average vehicle, excess speed can result in rear-ending a vehicle in front of them.
It is critically important to hire a qualified truck accident lawyer immediately after the accident to collect evidence of negligence and errors. This can include witness statements, police reports, photographs of the accident, and more.
Causes of Truck Accidents
Because trucks are massive and difficult to operate, there are many causes of truck accidents. Common causes include:
Commercial truck drivers must obey state, industry, and federal regulations and, because of this, they are held to a higher standard of responsibility than an average motorist. Failure on the part of a trucking company to train their drivers on how to safely operate the truck can pose a serious risk to everyone on the road.
When a worn tire blows out and causes a truck to lose control, serious injury or death can occur for any motorist involved in the crash. Brakes that are not adequately maintained and replaced on schedule can cause runaway truck accidents.
Sleep Deprivation and Fatigue
In an effort to deliver cargo as quickly as possible, long-haul trucks often attempt to drive large distances in short times. Not stopping to rest, however, poses a significant threat to other drivers.
The heavier the cargo, the longer it will take to stop the truck. Further, an overloaded cargo will affect the truck’s center of gravity, increasing the probability of a rollover accident.
Determining Liability in Truck Accidents
At Spencer Law Firm, we examine the evidence with great attention to detail to establish liability. Who can be held legally responsible in a truck accident?
- Driver – Negligent behavior, such as speeding and driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol can result in a truck operator being found legally responsible.
- Owner – The owner of the vehicle is responsible for keeping it in safe working condition. Should poor maintenance contribute to an accident, they may be held liable.
- Manufacturer – When defective parts play a role in an accident, the manufacturer can be held legally responsible.
- Trucking company – Neglecting to train employees and failure to provide safe working conditions can make the trucking company liable.
- Loader – The person responsible for loading the truck may be responsible in an accident if they failed to properly load and secure cargo.
The Importance of Hiring a Truck Accident Lawyer
It is critically important to hire a qualified truck accident lawyer immediately after the accident to collect evidence of negligence and errors. This can include witness statements, police reports, photographs of the accident, and more. Spencer Law Firm will examine the evidence to determine who is responsible for your injury and use that information to put together a strong case. With vast experience in personal injury lawsuits, we understand how to navigate complicated legal proceedings and pursue maximum restitution for your injury.
Contact Us to Learn More
There are many parties who may be at fault in a truck accident. To learn more about how Spencer Law Firm is uniquely equipped to help you, use our contact form or call us at (210) 543-0000.